Mother’s Day is an international celebration that honours mothers, motherhood, the maternal bonds and influence they have in society. It’s commemorated on different days in many parts of the world, most commonly in March and May. Ofcourse, we should appreciate and honour our mothers all year round (they deserve it!).
However, there’s one special day every year where people pull out all the stops to show their gratitude. At BiCortex Languages, we certainly don’t want to miss on this great chance to acknowledge those that we dearly hold close to our hearts, our mothers. So, Happy Mother’s Day to all the amazing moms in the world!
In this article, we’ll learn how to say Happy Mother’s day in 6 different languages.
Saying Happy Mother’s Day in 6 Languages
- Dutch: Gelukkige Moederdag
- Italian: Buona Festa della Mamma!
- French: joyeuse fête des mères
- German: Alles Liebe zum Muttertag
- Spanish: feliz día de la madre
- Portuguese: feliz dia das mães
Celebrate Mother’s Day: How to learn a new language with your mother today
Here are a few ideas on how you can celebrate mother’s day with your mother, whilst learning a new language at the same time:
- Create a mother’s day card in the target language you wish to learn as a surprise for her.
- Take her out for a lunch date, and have a casual conversation with her where you’ll be teaching her words of appreciation and love in that specific language you wish to learn. You can start by randomly saying out the words, then translating them for her afterwards. We have no doubts that this’ll be special to her.
- Cook up a storm! Treat your mother to a yummy home-cooked meal from the target language’s country. For example, for the French language, you could make beef Burgundy, or bake some croissants.
- Sing a love song for her in the that relevant language. Who doesn’t enjoy random karaoke sessions? She’ll enjoy it.
When is Mother’s Day 2022
This year, Mother’s Day is on the 8th of May, 2022. Although the date may change from year to year, mother’s day is usually celebrated on the second Sunday of May in most countries.It’s also important to know that not all countries celebrate Mother’s Day on the same day. Below are the different dates for when mother’s day is celebrated in different countries worldwide:
- Second Sunday of February: Norway
- 8th of March: Serbia, Russia, Albania, Armenia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Vietnam
- Fourth Sunday of Lent: Serbia, Russia, Albania, Armenia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Vietnam
- 21st of March: Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Mauritania, Libya, Oman, Qatar, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, Somalia, Yemen
- First Sunday in May: Spain, Portugal, France, Mozambique, Hungary, Lithuania
- 10th of May: Guatemala, El Salvador, México
- Second Sunday of May: Australia, Antigua and BarbudaAustria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Bhutan, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Cambodia, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chile, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, Ukraine, United States of America, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Trinidad and Tobago, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Tonga, and many more.
- 26th of May: Poland
- Last Sunday of May: Cameroon, Algeria, Dominican Republic, Madagascar, France, Haiti, Mali, Morocco, Niger, Mauritius, Senegal, Sweden, Tunisia
- 12th of August: Thailand
- 15th of August: Malawi